Since 1995, and regularly since 2004, I have worked as a naturalist on expedition ships exploring all seven continents and all oceans with a range of companies including Noble Caldedonia, G-adventures, and Adventure Canada.
An experienced ornithologist I often focus on seabirds and I have seen over two-thirds of the World's seabirds. I can also focus on a wide range of other wildlife topics based on my naturalist skills, birds in general, whales & dolphins (I have seen over 63 species), seals, reptiles & amphibians, fish, sharks, and invertebrates. Familiar with most of the World's biomes and I can also cover a broad range of topics from food webs to biogeography and the problems the natural World faces. As a guide I've worked in various locations including the rainforest (one of the most challenging places to be a guide!).
I have a masters in Oceanography (specialing in Marine Biology) and considerable practical experience of exploring marine life, on, under, and around the margins of our seas, a fasination that started as a kid exploring coastal rock pools in Devon. I am also a diver, and have been on various marine expeditions in addition to working on expedition cruise ships. Based on my experience I was behind the original concept of SEALIFE - A Complete Guide to the Marine Environment.
Most crucial of all, I have the experience in the field with plenty of photos, facts, stories and anecdotes to enhance lectures and recaps that are delivered with humour and enthusiasm, and regions I have worked in include the following:
- Antarctica (Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia and the Falklands)
- Australia (cruises in the Kimberley region but also exploring eastern and central Australia
- Arctic (Greenland, NW Passage, Svalbard)
- British Isles (all coastlines)
- Caribbean and Central America
- Iceland, Faroes, and Norway
- Indian Ocean (coasts of Mozambique and Tanzania and islands odf Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion and the Seycelles)
- Indo-Pacific (Indonesia, Malaysia, New Caledonia, New Guinea, Solomons, Vanuatu)
- New Zeland (exploring all coasts and also inland)
- Pacific (Easter Island to Tahiti via the Marquesas)
- South America (whole Pacific coastline and the Atlantic coast fron Recife south - also a resident in the Amazon in SE Peru)
- Tropical Atlantic (Canaries and the Cape Verdes)
- Other expeditions I have worked on as the ship’s naturalist have included sailing a yacht from the UK to South Africa and back on Enterprise Neptune and sailing from Hong Kong to Shanghai and back on a junk in the South China Seas on The Marco Polo Voyage.
- Leading some of the ultimate of whale watching tours for Discover the World.