Relevant experience, training and qualifications is becoming increasingly important for work on cruise ships and working in environmentally senstive areas.
- I am familiar with the guidelines and completed the annual assessments for IAATO (International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators) and AECO (Association of Arctic Expedition Cruise Operators) - relating to responsible tourism in Polar Bear regions.
- Member of the PTGA (Polar Tourism Guides Association) with a Certificate of Competency as a Senior Polar Guide.
- I hold a current UK Seaman’s discharge book.
Zodiac Driver & experience with boats.
Moderate/rough weather Zodiac driver with over 15 years of experience working on cruise ships from the tropics to polar regions, in all conditions.
- BSAC Dive Cox with recognised international boat handling BSAC certificate (RYA 2 equivalent and certificate 000269).
- PTGA Certificate of Competency for driving small boats/Zodiacs.
- Driving RIBs as a diver for over 25 years.
- Sailing experience in the UK, in the Atlantic, and the South China Seas.
- Since I was in the Sea Scouts as a boy, I’ve always been in boats, from rowing boats to kayaks and sailing boats. I also learnt invaluable skills, from tying knots to map reading, to taking on responsibilities.
Practical First Aid
- Qualified first aider - British Red Cross 'First Aid at Work'. Also have the STCW Elementary First Aid certificate and have completed course for leading groups in the outdoors including the St. John's Ambulance 'Aciticity First Aid' course and a similar course by HFholidays.
Diving and life-saving.
- Advanced BSAC (British Sub-aqua club) diver with over 600 dives, diving since 1979 in the UK and abroad (Caribbean, Mediterranean, Malaysia, Red Sea etc.).
- Qualified free diver to AIDA 2 star (open water free diver) with a passion to explore coral reefs and other marine locations.
- As an Advanced level BSAC diver and an open water free diver I learnt life saving techniques and practice regularly.
- Have a NRA Basic Rifle Shooting certification.
- Have completed the Canadian Firearms Safety course and the BASC (British Association for Shooting and Conservation) Rifle wareness course.
- I was trained in rifle handling and working in Polar Bear country by Dr Tom Smith, the foremost expert on Ringed Seals who has worked a lot in the Arctic with bears. He also emphasisied one of the most important saftety aspects - muzzle control.
- Experience of working in Polar Bear country and assessing for bears and handling rifles since 2010.
STCW courses & certificates
As approved by Maritime and Coastguard Agency (UK) as meeting the requirements laid down in the STCW convention (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers) and Code 1978, as amended.
- Proficiency in Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (17 Sept 2019 – cert no. MSA-FPFF 1783/2019 & MCA approval number 00 5320)..
- Proficiency in Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (13 Nov 2014 – cert no. MSA-PSSR 1048/2014 & MCA approval number 00 3564).
- Proficiency in Elementary First Aid (10 Nov 2014 – cert no. MSA-EFA 1047/2014 & MCA approval number 00 3916).
- Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques (17 Sept 2019 - cert no. MSA-PST 1525/2019 & MCA approval number 00 5322).
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (13 Nov 2014 - cert no. MSA-SA 1192/2014 & MCA approval number 00 3849).
- Training in Crowd Management Onboard Passenger Ships (06 Aug 2018 - cert no. MSA-PST 1256/2018).
Additional Security Awareness certificates
Meeting the requirements laid down in Regulation VI/6.1 of the International STCW Convention 1978, as amended, and issued under the Bahamas Maritime Authority.
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (29 Aug 2014 – cert no. CS00111).
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (04 Nov 2013 – cert no. SAT/EXP/0041).
Additional Crowd Management certificates
Completed with V-Ships and meeting the requirements of STCW2010 Regulation V/2 Para - 4 & 5 & STCW2010 Code A-V/2 para 1 & 2.
- Crowd Management and Safety Training (30 June 2013 cert no. CC_EXP 0017).